Slow cooker features to look out for
You can serve food easily and you won't have to put the lid on the counter, so no messy marks.
Ceramic non-stick coating
A non-stick bowl is durable, scratch resistant and easy to clean. It also promotes even cooking.
Add finishing touches, like a grilled mash potato topping, and sear food on the hob to seal in flavours before cooking.
What size slow cooker should I choose?
||2 - 4L
||Individual meals, dinner for two,
rice dishes, side dishes
||3 - 5L
||Family feasts, entertaining,
easy cleaning, simple suppers
||4 - 7L
||Mess free mega meals, weekend feasts,
batch cooking, easy cleaning
what you need
- A whole chicken (approx 4lb/1.8kg)
- 4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 onion, cut into large slices
- 2 lemon wedges
- 4 carrots, cut into chunky pieces
- 4 celery sticks, cut into quarters
- Combine the salt, thyme, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper and garlic in a bowl to create the seasoning.
- Place the onion, celery and carrots at the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Remove any giblets from the chicken and pat down with kitchen roll.
- Rub the chicken all over with the seasoning.
- Place the chicken breast-down in the slow cooker bowl.
- Squeeze lemon juice all over the top.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7 hours.
- Allow to cool a little before serving.
what you need
- 1.5kg - 2kg pork shoulder
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chipotle paste
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Corn taco shells
- Small soft tortilla wraps
- Coriander rice
- Sour cream
- Chopped coriander
- Remove the skin from the pork and slash the meat on both sides.
- Prepare the marinade by mixing the garlic, cumin, chipotle paste, lime zest and juice, orange zest and juice, olive oil and seasoning. Rub into the meat and cover, refrigerate overnight before cooking.
- Place the meat and the marinade into the removable slow cooker bowl. Cover with the lid and cook on Low for 6-7 hours or High for 5-6 hours.
- Remove the meat from the slow cooker bowl using a slotted spoon.
- Allow to cool slightly before shredding with 2 forks. Place the pork onto a baking sheet and crisp in the oven for approximately 10 minutes.
To assemble the Tacos
- Place a spoonful of the sour cream onto a soft tortilla and add a corn taco shell onto the centre of the wrap, this makes them easier to eat.
- Add the crispy pork, a spoonful of coriander rice, salsa, sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh coriander leaves and jalapenos.
- Fold round the ingredients and enjoy.
what you need
- 100g butter, melted
- 225g self-raising flour
- 150g caster sugar
- 5g baking powder
- 50g cocoa, sifted
- 150g crunchy peanut butter
- 3 medium eggs
- 150ml milk
- 100g chocolate, chopped
- Chocolate coated peanuts and mini peanuts
- Peanut butter cups
- 300g light brown soft sugar
- 40g cocoa powder
- Lightly grease the cooking bowl with a little butter.
- Mix the flour, caster sugar, baking powder, and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Divide equally into two bowls and add the cocoa powder to one and the peanut butter to the other.
- Whisk together the eggs, melted butter and milk in a separate bowl and pour into a measuring jug. Pour half onto each bowl of dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Stir the chocolate chunks into the chocolate batter.
- Pour both batters into the cooking bowl and lightly swirl together. Dot the top of the batter with some peanut butter.
- Make the sauce by mixing 420ml of boiling water with the brown sugar and cocoa powder. Pour the sauce carefully over the mixture in the cooking bowl.
- Cover and cook on slow cook High for 2 hours until firm and risen.
- Add the confectionery for the last ten minutes to melt slightly.
- Serve hot with pouring cream or vanilla ice cream.
Crock-Pot 3.5L Slow Cooker
Cookworks 1.5L Compact Slow Cooker
Breville ITP137 4.5L Slow Cooker
Crock-Pot 4.5L Slow Cooker
Crock-Pot 5.7L Slow Cooker
Morphy Richards 3.5L Slow Cooker