How to measure ring size
Your fingers tend to be the largest in the evening, so measure then. Avoid measuring when cold as fingers can be up to half a size smaller than usual.
Without an existing ring:
- Measure your finger at the base with a piece of string, ensuring it's snug on the finger without being tight.
- Mark the string with a pen where the end meets.
- Use a ruler to measure the marked area of string.
- Compare the measurement to our conversion chart to find your ring size.
With an existing ring:
- Make sure you use a ring that sits on the finger you want to buy the new ring for.
- Print out our ring size PDF and place your ring over the different circles, determining which one is the closest size.
- Or alternatively, measure the inside diameter with a ruler and use our conversion chart to find your size.
Ring size conversion chart
Use the chart below to find your size based on your finger measurements. But if you're still struggling to work out exactly what size you need, pop into your nearest store with a jewellery counter and somebody will be happy to help you pick out the right size.
There's different ways to approach this, with varying degrees of riskiness.
The 'get help' method
Enlist the help of one of your partner's friends or family members. They may know your partner's size if they've bought a ring for them in the past, or if not, they may be able to find out a bit more subtly than you could.
The 'borrow' method
Try borrowing one of their rings without them noticing and measure this. Bear in mind that different fingers are different sizes though. If the ring you're measuring is worn on a different finger, you'll have to try and estimate how much bigger or smaller you need the new one to be. If in doubt, always go slightly larger as it's easier to resize a ring that's too big than one that's too small.
The 'sleep' method
Or lastly, if you're feeling particularly brave and the other two options don't work, you can try measuring their finger using the string method while they're sleeping.
Even if you have carefully tried to work out what size ring you need, there's still a chance the ring won't fit exactly how it needs to. If this happens, don't panic. You can easily take it back into any Argos store and exchange the ring for a different size. Find your nearest store here.
However, this must be done within 30 days of purchase, so if you do have any queries over whether the ring will fit or not, don't leave it sitting in the box in your drawer for months. For diamond rings, they will need to be sent off for verification with the original size tag on it before they can be exchanged, so you would not be able to get the new ring straight away.