Ring buying guide
From styles and stones to sizing, get all the information you need to choose the perfect ring.Shop all rings
Ready to pop the question? While a diamond is often the most popular choice, engagement rings come in variety of metals adorned in a range of stones. Since it's more about the wearer's story and style, look for stunning stones and dazzling designs while keeping in mind their taste, and voila - you'll find just the ring that's hard to say no to.
In contrast to engagement rings, wedding rings are often simple bands. Exchanged while saying your wedding vows, they symbolise eternal love and commitment. While a more traditional wedding ring will be a plain gold band, you can find some modern options with encrusted diamonds in white gold, platinum, and sterling silver too.
A symbol of eternal love - these are also known as half eternity bands or diamond set bands. Featuring a continuous line of gemstones (most popularly diamonds) on the band, these are popularly used for marking major milestones in any relationship.
Fun and fab, fashion rings are for daily or casual accessorising and do not carry any symbolism. They come in multiple metal choices, gemstones, and designs, so whatever your style or price range - you are sure to find one that complements. Make a statement or add a quick charm to your style. We also have a range of personalised rings as a great gifting option.
It's not just the diamond that brings in the bling. Choosing the right metal for your ring is equally important. You can find flexible options with silver or gold plated metals if you want a different look than the base metal. Also, make sure not to mix metals when pairing rings as one can be damaging to the other.
Generally, there's no right answer. It's not all about the price tag - the most important thing is the love it symbolises. But it also helps to choose a ring your partner will like too! How much you spend is always at your discretion. Start by having a budget in mind and then go from there. It's simple really...
Trying a ring on in person will always be the ultimate test to find a comfortable size, but you can get a good idea of sizing using either of these methods:
Measure your finger...
Fingers can change size a little throughout the day, so measure them at their biggest. To do this, take the measurement in the evening and make sure your fingers aren't cold.
- Decide which finger the ring will be worn on and grab a length of string, a felt tip pen and a ruler.
- Wrap the string around the base of your finger. Make sure it's snug but not too tight - you're aiming to replicate a comfortable ring fitting.
- Using the pen, make a mark where the string crosses over.
- Use the ruler to measure the marked length of string in mm.
- You now have the circumference of your finger. Find your measurement on our size list below to get your approximate ring size.
Measure using an existing ring
Already have comfortably fitting ring but not sure what size is? Here's how to find out:
- If you can access a printer, print a copy of our ring size PDF (we'll open this in a new tab for you). Follow the instructions on the PDF to find out what size it is.
- Don't have access to a printer? Grab a ruler and measure the diameter of the ring (its widest part) in mm. Make sure the ring fits the same finger your are shopping for.
- Find the diameter on our size list below to get the approximate ring size.
Ring size conversion
As is standard across most jewellers, we specify ring size with an alphabetical letter. Most of our range is available in sizes H through to V, although some rings may only be available in the most popular sizes. If you don't know what letter you need, you can find out below using the circumference of your finger or the diameter of an existing ring that fits.
Even if you have carefully tried to work out what size ring you need, there's still a chance the ring won't fit exactly as you want it to. If this happens, don't panic. You can easily take it back into any Argos store within 30 days of purchase and exchange the ring for a different size.
For diamond rings, they will need to be sent off for verification with the original size tag on it before they can be exchanged, so you would not be able to get the new ring straight away.
Pay no interest on any product £99+
when you pay your full balance within 12 months with the Argos Card.
Representative 34.9% APR variable.
Credit subject to status. T&Cs apply.