DIY, painting and decorating - a beginner's guide
Helpful how-tos to get you started.
How to prep a room
Before you start anything, it’s a good idea to prepare your walls as any holes, bumps or uneven surfaces can affect your final finish. Take some time with these first steps…
How to paint a room
Once you’ve prepped the walls, you’re ready to go. Not sure which order to paint a room? Our step-by-step guide will walk you through…
How much paint do I need?
Don't waste a drop
On average, 6L of paint can cover 4 walls of a traditional living room or bedroom. However, this does depend on the colour of paint as you may require more than 1 coat.
Kitchen and bathroom paint
The right paint for every room
Kitchen and bathroom paint differ because they’re tough and durable - specially designed so moisture, grease and dirt won’t absorb into the surface. It’s easy to wipe clean and usually has a shiny finish.
Top tips for painting and decorating...
Paint like a pro...
- Mix the paint – before you start, give your paint a good stir for the best consistency.
- Don’t saturate your roller – too much paint and it’ll spray as you roll.
- Don’t press too hard or roll to fast – this'll create an uneven finish.
- Clean your tools – wash and dry them thoroughly so they’ll last longer.
- Reseal your paint – ensure leftover paint is sealed securely so it doesn’t dry out.
- Don’t leave masking tape on too long – it’ll be harder to remove.
- Have a damp cloth nearby – for any little spillages.
Different types of paint
Command hanging solutions
No holes needed...
Discover the easiest (and cleanest) way to decorate your walls. Command’s transparent hooks subtly disappear into your decor, whilst the super strong strips safely secure frames, pictures and posters to your walls.