Home office ideas
Own working from home with our guide to office furniture and ideas for creating a productive study space.
Working from home this autumn and winter?
Ensure that you stay warm, cosy and comfortable in your home office by preparing for dark nights and cold weather. Our heating and lighting essentials can help you carry on working, even as the nights draw in.
Working from home the new normal? Our home office ideas are here to help you create a work space that inspires and creativity, as well as helps you stay happy and healthy at home. Choose the best desk and chair combo and read our tips for finding the perfect posture to leave you comfortable all-day long.
Show home study
Video call ready
Productivity meets personality with these super-stylish pieces. The subtle pops of pink and a few on-trend accessories make this setup more boutique than boardroom.
Get the look
Home office luxury
Home office luxury table.
Home office luxury chair.
A classy combo
Separate home and work with this desk and chair pair that are all about professionalism. The velvet, black and gold combine to give an executive feel, helping you crack on without distraction.
Get the look
Work on your home office look with these ever popular trends
Office desk guide
There’s a few key decisions to make when choosing a desk and the options below should help you to narrow down your selection.
Space and storage
Finding space for a home workstation can be challenging. You might need room for multiple screens, a printer and any other essential accessories.
Need room for lots of equipment or multiple screens, choose from our selection of wide office desks.
Working with limited space? Find a narrow workstation that's the perfect for your home.
Corner desks are a great compromise between space saving and extra storage and desk space.
Keep things neat and tidy with a storage desk. Perfect for keeping paperwork organised and out of the way.
Style and character
Want your office furniture to stand out or just want to match your workstation to your home decor? Here's some of our favourite picks.
- Solid wood and wood effect desks are classic choice - and can be the perfect match for a kitchen or living room.
- Go for something different with a metal or glass topped desk, offering sleek and sophisticated style.
- Brighten up your home office with a desk that adds a pop of colour. Take a look at our pink, blue and green options, or choose something more traditional like black, white or grey.
- Go from work to play and double up your desk with a game station with these gaming desks.
Office chair guide
Comfort is the most important feature when choosing an office chair. If you’re going to be using it for work day-in day-out, you need a chair that is adjustable and supports a healthy posture. Check out some of our favourites below, or scroll down to read more about ergonomic furniture that supports you while you work.
Ergonomic office furniture
What is ergonomic furniture?
Ergonomic furniture is designed to provide comfort and support. They can help to reduce the risk of numerous health issues, such as arthritis, joint pain, musculoskeletal problems, and poor blood pressure, to name a few. Here are some of the key features that can help you sit comfortably:
- Adjustable heights - allows you to customise furniture to make it comfortable for you, maintaining the correct posture by keeping your back straight and legs at the correct angle, as well as reducing the risk of joint pain and stiffness.
- Fabrics that regulate temperature - helping to keep your body at a regular temperature.
- 180 degree adjustable chair arms - to mimic your arm movement.
- Keyboard and mouse supports - these support your wrists and help to reduce the risk of developing conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome.
Ergonomic office chairs
Most office chairs have some level of adjustability – usually allowing you to change the height, tilt and arm rests.
These ergonomic features are ideal if you're sat at a desk for several hours a day. They provide a level of comfort and support that helps to reduce stress, therefore increasing productivity and efficiency.
Ergonomic office desks
An ergonomic office desk is one that allows you to remain comfortable whilst using it for longer periods of time.
This can also refer to sit-stand or standing desks, that help to alleviate the health risks you may encounter from prolonged sitting.
Ergonomic office accessories
Having the right computer accessories can help to keep your hands and wrists comfortable whilst working for long periods of time. They can help reduce the risk of health issues such as carpal tunnel syndrome.
Other accessories, such as footrests under your desk, can also help to maintain an ideal posture to prevent any aches or pains.
What’s the correct posture for sitting at a desk?
- Your eyes should be level with the top of your computer monitor.
- Your back and neck should not be bent or hunched.
- Your shoulders should feel relaxed.
- Your hips and knees should be at a 90° angle and feet firmly on the floor.
- Your wrists shouldn’t be bent and your arms should sit on the armrests.
With an adjustable office chair you can change the width, height and tilt to suit your needs. As well as the correct sitting position, it’s important to take regular breaks when sitting in an office chair for long periods of time.
You could even consider a standing desk, which allows you to work on your feet, as well as sitting down.
Here's our top tips for taking care of yourself when working from home
- Take regular screen breaks to give your eyes a rest.
- Stretch your legs a few times a day, including a walk outside.
- Throw the curtains and windows open for some fresh air and sunlight.
- Keep your desk tidy and clutter-free.
- Stay hydrated by keeping a drink at your side all day.
- Stay active with some indoor exercise? Anyone for chair yoga?
- Create a harmonious atmosphere with soothing scents and faux plants.
- Arrange social events with colleagues, like a virtual coffee break or quiz.
Home office finishing touches
More help and inspiration
Work from home essentials
All you need to make home working work for you.
Small room ideas
Make the most of every inch of space in your home.
Gaming room ideas
Take your gaming setup one step further with our desks and chairs.
Computing guides and advice
Make sense of the tech specs with our guides to PCs, laptops and tablets.
Why buy at Argos?