Protein is one of the essential nutrients your body needs to stay healthy as it builds and repairs muscle while supporting the immune system. Getting enough of it in your diet will also help you feel fuller for longer, so you can avoid sneaky snacking, and can speed up your metabolism.
High protein recipe: Grilled tofu and quinoa salad
Healthy, vegetarian and rich in protein. Try out this delicious dish for a meat-free alternative that's definitely not lacking in substance or flavour.
600ml boiling water / ½ tsp salt / 300g quinoa / 1 juice of lemon / 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil / 2 garlic cloves / ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper / 250g firm tofu / 1 red or yellow bell pepper / 8 cherry tomatoes / ½ cucumber / 1 tbsp fresh parsley / 1 tbsp fresh mint
1. Place the quinoa and 600mls salted boiling water in a large bowl. Cover and cook on your highest microwave setting for 5 mins. Then turn down to a medium setting and cook for a further 15 mins.
2. Drain and spread the quinoa on a baking sheet to cool for 10 mins.
3. Pre-heat your grill on a high heat (or high setting).
4. Line a baking tin with foil and place the tofu on top. Grill it for 10 to 12 mins, turning during cooking.
5. While the tofu is grilling, whisk the lemon juice, oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the cooled quinoa, tofu, bell pepper, tomatoes, cucumber, parsley and mint. Toss well to combine and serve.
Thinking about going vegan?
Get vegan inspiration
Looking to move over to veganism? Learn more about the plant-based diet and find tasty recipes, sweet and savoury, for you to try out.