Go get baking
Gift ideas, easy recipes and the kit you need to bake them.Shop bake off equipment
Whether you’re inspired by baking shows, practicing Christmas recipes or creating homemade treats – we’ve got all you need to master your show stoppers.
Bake of the week
Heartwarming apple pie
Whether you like it with ice cream, cream or custard…a traditional apple pie is a wonderfully warming way to finish off any meal.
What you'll need:
- 250g self-raising flour
- 50g icing sugar, sifted
- 125g unsalted butter (cut into cubes)
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 1 splash whole milk
- 4 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 50g granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp ground ginger
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
- Pop the flour, icing sugar and butter into a food processor and pulse until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the egg and pulse until the dough comes together in a ball, add the milk if needed. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 20 mins.
- In a bowl, mix together the apples, cornflour, lemon zest and juice, sugar and spices. Place in an ovenproof dish and brush the edges with a little beaten egg.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C or gas 5.
- Roll out of the pastry to about 0.5cm. Drape over the apple mixture and pinch the edges to secure the rim. Make a 1cm hole in the centre and decorate the top with leftover pastry, securing with beaten egg.
- Brush the remaining beaten egg all over and bake for 20 mins. Reduce the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4 and cook for a further 15-20 mins, until golden.
Pick up your baking equipment...
Baking for beginners
What do you need?
Want to try baking the basics, but not sure where to begin? Don’t sweat over the sugar – we’ve pulled together the kit you need to get started.
From baking trays and cake tins, to kitchen scales and mixing bowls. All you need to do is pop on your apron, pick a recipe and decide who gets to lick the spoon.
Mix it up
If you’ve mastered the basics and feeling inspired to try something new, start by upgrading your baking equipment.
Stand mixers make great sous chefs; working on your meringue mix, whilst you crack on with the next steps of your recipe. Or experiment with new flavoured loafs, with a bread maker.
Christmas baking ideas...
A dusting of...flour!
Starting your Christmas cake, baking gifts for loved ones or looking for some festive fun with the kids. Find everything you need to fill your kitchen with (edible) magic.