Updated on 23rd May 2012.
The Website is operated by Argos Limited ("Argos/we/our/us") a company incorporated in England(Company Number 01081551) with registered office at 489-499 Avebury Boulevard, Central Milton Keynes, MK9 2NW. Argos is a member of the Home Retail Group ("the Group"). The Group ("we","us") includes Argos Limited, Argos Business Solutions Limited, Home Retail Group Card Services Limited, Home Retail Group Insurance Services Limited, Home Retail Group Personal Finance Limited, ARG Personal Loans Limited, Homebase Limited, Argos Business Solutions Limited, Habitat Retail Limited and their associated companies. A full list of companies is available upon request (See 'Contact Us' below).
The purpose of this statement is to set out the purposes for which, and the manner in which, we may collect and use personal information that we may obtain about you. By either registering as a user of any services provided by Argos on this website and/or by using the Argos website generally you consent and agree to this use by us.
Argos does not knowingly collect data from any unsupervised person under the age of 18. If you are under the age of 18, you must not use the Argos website or submit any personal data to us unless you have the consent of, and are supervised by, a parent or guardian.
Use of your personal information
Disclosure of your information
How can I get my name removed from the Credit & Insurance mailing list?
Changes to Policy
1. When you register and use this site:
2. We may use information that you provide or that is obtained by us:
(a) to register you with our website and to manage any account you hold with us
(b) to administer our website services;
(c) to give to companies and organisations whose products we provide to you, e.g. product, home and motor, financial and travel services.
(d) to fulfil our agreement with you and to process your order and obtain payment.
(e) to analyse and profile your preferences e.g. (market, customer and product analysis) to enable us (i) to provide you with a personalised browsing experience when using the website and (ii) to review, develop and improve the products and services which we offer and to enable us to provide you and other customers with relevant information through our marketing programme.
(f) we may use your information to make decisions about you using computerised technology, for example automatically selecting products and/or services which we think will interest you from the information we have.
(g) we may keep you informed of such products and services (including products and services of other companies and organisations and including special offers, discounts, offers, competitions and so on) which we consider may be of interest to you by any of the following methods:
(h) To administer any prize draws or competitions you may enter.
3. If you do not wish to receive information of products and services which may be of interest to you from us or carefully chosen third parties, you will be provided with the means to indicate this when you use the particular products or services of this website.
4. We may supplement the information that you provide to us with information that we receive from third parties. In particular we will carry out searches with credit reference agencies.
5. We may engage third party payment providers to administer and process your payment card details in order to complete any payments that you make through the website.
6. We may store and process your information on our own information technology systems or on systems owned by third parties that may store and process your information on our behalf.
7. In order to protect our customers and us from fraud and theft, we may pass on information that we obtain from making identity checks and other information in our customer records, including how you conduct your account, to other Group companies, other retailers and to financial and other organisations involved in fraud prevention and detection, to use in the same way. Without limitation to the foregoing, we may disclose any information and data relating to you to the police or any regulatory or government authority including and not limited to law enforcement agencies in response to a request in connection with the investigation of any suspected illegal activities.
8. We may give information about you to the following companies and organisations who may use it for the same purposes as set out above:
(a) to other companies in the Group
(b) to employees and agents of the Group and other approved third parties to administer any accounts, products and services provided to you by the Group now or in the future.
(c) to agents who (on our behalf) profile your data so that we may tailor the goods/services we offer to your specific needs.
(d) to other organisations for the administration of prize draws or competitions
(e) to anyone to whom we transfer our rights and duties under our agreement with you.
(f) if we have a duty to do so or if the law allows us to do so.
9. We refer in paragraph 4 above to the fact that we may carry out credit reference agency searches to obtain information about you. These agencies record those searches. In addition to the purposes listed above, we may also share information about you and the conduct of your account with credit reference agencies, other lenders and relevant third parties including our legal advisors and debt recovery agencies.
10. In carrying out the activities specified in this policy, we may transfer data to reputable companies outside the European Economic Area. Whilst we take reasonable steps to ensure that your information will be afforded the same level of protection as that required of us under applicable UK data protection legislation you should be aware that countries outside the European Economic Area may not offer the same level of protection of personal data.
12. We are required to provide you with clear and comprehensive information about the cookies which we use on the site and to obtain your consent to the use of the cookies. In order to comply with these requirements we have prepared a cookies policy setting out information about cookies, detailing the cookies we use and providing information on how to manage cookies on your computer.
14. We will treat all of your information in strict confidence and we will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information. However, we cannot guarantee the security of any data you disclose online. You accept the inherent security risks of providing information and dealing online over the Internet and will not hold us responsible for any breach of security unless this is due to our negligence or wilful default.
15. When you enter personal details on this site you may see your browser show a padlock or key at the bottom right hand side of your screen. For more information about the security settings double click on this icon when it appears.
16. You have the right to see personal data (as defined in the Data Protection Act) that we keep about you, upon receipt of a written request and payment of a fee (see Contact Us below).
17. If you are concerned that any of the information we hold on you is incorrect please Contact Us.
18. If you want to be removed from our mailing list, please send an email to Customer.Services-Card@argos.co.uk with the word 'remove' in the subject line and the email address that you wish to be removed within the email. Please note that it may take up to 28 days to action your request. In addition, each electronic mailing we send you will contain details of how you can un-subscribe.
19. Calls may be recorded to verify content and may be used together with other customer records for regulatory compliance, quality control and staff training, preventing or detecting criminal activity and for complaint resolution.