Your plan benefits
You are entitled to access our UK-based call centre on 08444 810 511 to receive help if your product is not working.
If your product suffers either:
i. damage caused accidentally (physical damage as a result of a sudden cause which stops the product working properly) either within or outside the supplier’s or manufacturer’s guarantee; or
ii. a mechanical or electrical breakdown outside the supplier’s or manufacturer’s guarantee period;
and our customer services team are not able to resolve the problem by telephone, we will, in our discretion, decide whether to approve a repair. We may also (at our option), decide to replace or pay the cost of replacing your product (if these are not covered by a manufacturer’s parts guarantee), in each case subject to the full terms and conditions below.
General Terms and Conditions
1. There is no limit to the number of repairs to your product which can be approved during the period of your plan.
2. Repair work authorised by us will be carried out during our repairers’ normal working hours only, which are typically Monday – Friday, 9am to 5pm.
3. Applications for repairs to your product will only be considered where the product is no longer covered by any supplier’s, manufacturer’s or repairer’s guarantee for call-out and labour charges. Payment will not be approved for parts arising from a repair or the cost of any replacement of the product if these are covered by a manufacturer’s parts guarantee.
4. You must operate your product in line with the manufacturer’s instructions and must not modify it.
5. Your product must not have been lost, stolen, misused, neglected, poorly installed, subjected to deliberate damage, or damage caused by fire, explosion, floods, lightning, storms, frost or other bad weather conditions, rust, corrosion or water.
6. Your product must not be subject to a current recall either by the retailer, the supplier or the manufacturer.
7. Your product must only be used in a domestic environment. Products used in a non-domestic or commercial environment must be subject to our prior approval in writing.
8. Your product must be repaired within the United Kingdom, unless we agree otherwise in writing.
9. You are liable for any costs we incur if there is no fault found with the product, or for routine maintenance, cleaning, servicing and cosmetic repairs (e.g. damage to paintwork, dents or scratches) or where there is any problem with the supply of electricity, gas or water.
10. Payment will not be approved for costs arising from being unable to use your product (e.g. food spoilage) or for any other loss or damage not included under your plan benefits which arises from the breakdown of your product, including any costs to remove or reinstate built-in or fitted products.
11. We recommend you back up or store any data/files on a regular basis as we will not restore any data/files in the event of your product requiring a repair.
12. Your product must have been bought from Argos.
13. You must be at least 18 years old to take out this plan.
14. Your plan will end if we provide you with a replacement product (or a cash or voucher settlement instead). No refund will be due.
15. The plan does not include:
• the failure of the product to operate correctly caused by the withdrawal of services by a third party
• software (including operating systems) loss or failure
• damage or failure of the product due to: a software virus; the configuration of user settings; or the process of backing up or recovery of data; loss, corruption or damage to data or operating system
• image retention on screens
• replacement of consumer durables (e.g. batteries, belts, blades, oil, petrol, light bulbs and fuses)
• any item or accessory which was not included in the original packaging of the product
• the safe return of any game, DVD or UMD™ which may be lodged inside the product at time of fault
• scale damage
• oven liners, energy management systems or immersion heaters
• fuel lines to the product and the flue system from the product
• additional costs in gaining access to the product or loss arising from failure to gain access
• costs due to unusual physical or electrical stress, burned screen or software interface problems
• claims arising due to a failure to install the display in line with the manufacturer’s instructions
• costs associated with gaining access to cables within the fabric of a building or wall
• repairs due to pixel failure where the number or location is not in excess of the manufacturer’s acceptable limit
• Wall mounted units if not fitted as per the manufacturer’s recommendations
• damage during delivery
• the loss of safety keys on fitness equipment
• the loss of or damage to glasses used to view 3D TV
How to ask for a repair
1. You must contact us on 08444 810 511.
2. Occasionally, if we agree, you may have to pay for a repair yourself. Where this occurs you must confirm the cost of the intended repair with the repairer. If it is estimated to be more than £125, please make sure that the repairer rings our Repair Authority line on 08444 810 550 for an authorisation number. If they do not do this it may affect the amount we pay.
3. We may ask you to provide us with copies of your plan document and/or purchase receipts (for your plan and/or for your product) to verify that you are the planholder.
Repairs and Replacements
1. If a repair is approved, we may (at our option), decide to replace your product with a new product of the same or similar make and specification.
2. If we cannot reasonably arrange a replacement we may decide to provide you with Argos vouchers to the value of Argos’s current retail price of a replacement of the same or similar make and specification.
3. When your product has been replaced under condition 1 or 2 above your plan will end immediately and you must also pay for any outstanding plan fee instalments due for the full term of your plan.
4. When your product has been replaced you will be responsible for disposing of the original product at your own cost if it remains in your possession.
Cancellation period – Right to change your mind
1. You can cancel your plan at any time within 45 days of purchase, and you will receive a full refund, provided you have not used any services under the plan.
2. If you wish to cancel the plan during this 45 day cancellation period then return to the store with your plan document and receipt to receive your refund.
1. After the 45 day cancellation period you may terminate your plan at any time, and you will be refunded a proportion of your plan fee relating to the remaining full months outstanding, unless your equipment has already been replaced or written-off.
2. If you wish to terminate your plan after the 45 day cancellation period, you can:
• click on ‘contact us’ at www.domesticandgeneral.com; or
• write to Domestic & General Services Limited, Leicester House, 17 Leicester Street, Bedworth,
Warwickshire, CV12 8JP.
You may need to send in your plan document and receipt.
3. Your plan may be terminated at any time in the event of any fraud, attempted fraud, or where you have provided incorrect information, and you will not be entitled to any refunds.
4. The plan can be terminated by us at any time by giving you 14 days’ notice, in which case a refund of any amount paid for the remaining full months of the plan will be given. The plan can also be cancelled by us if we decide not to approve a repair or replacement (or cash or voucher settlement) within the terms of your plan. In that case, a full refund of fee payments you have made relating to the current period will be given. In each case, we will confirm any such termination or cancellation in writing to your last known address.
How to contact us or complain
• Call the Customer Service Department on 08444 810 511;
• Write to the Customer Care Manager at Domestic & General Services Limited, Leicester House, 17 Leicester Street, Bedworth, Warwickshire CV12 8JP;
• Email us by clicking on ‘contact us’ on our website (www.domesticandgeneral.com).
Telephoning Domestic & General Services Limited
Your telephone calls may be recorded to monitor and improve the quality of the service provided.
Your details will be held and used by Argos Limited, Domestic & General Services Limited, our group companies, and selected companies acting on our behalf to administer your plan. We may pass your data to any relevant regulator or dispute resolution provider. We may also use your data for training and testing purposes. If you have given us permission, your details may also be used by us or third parties for other marketing purposes. We may disclose your information to our service providers and agents for these purposes. We and the third parties (if applicable) may contact you by mail, telephone or email. If you no longer want your data to be used by Argos Limited for marketing purposes please write to Argos, Thynne Street, Bolton BL11 1AS. If you no longer want your data to be used by third parties or by us for marketing purposes and you have not already notified us please write to the Data Protection Officer at: Domestic & General, Freepost CV2560, Bedworth, Warwickshire, CV12 8BR. To help keep your details accurate we may use information we receive from our partners. You can ask us for a copy of your details (for a small fee) and to correct any inaccuracies. To improve our service we may monitor or record our communications with you.
Exclusion of third party rights
This plan is for the benefit of the plan holder only and any permitted transferee at our discretion and no rights or benefits will be given to any other third party under the plan. The provisions of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 will not apply.
Governing law and statutory rights
Unless otherwise agreed with you, English law will apply to this plan.
Nothing in the terms and conditions of this plan will affect the statutory rights you have when you buy electrical products. These include the right to claim for a refund, repair, or replacement for up to six years (five in Scotland) if your electrical goods were not of satisfactory quality or fit for their purpose when they were sold to you. After the first six months you will have to prove that the goods had a fault when sold to you and the longer it takes for the fault to appear the more difficult this will be. For further information about your statutory rights contact your local authority Trading Standards Department or Citizens Advice Bureau, or visit www.adviceguide.org.uk.
You should be aware that extended warranties are available from other high street outlets, insurance companies and other providers. Cover may also be available for limited periods on some appliances from your credit card provider. Some household contents insurance policies offer cover for accidental damage, fire or theft. However, you may find that an excess is payable and a claim may affect the cost of subsequent insurance premiums.
When can I buy a plan?
If you decide not to buy a plan when you buy your product, any written quotation given to you will be available on the same terms and conditions for a further 45 days. Any offers, such as discounts and vouchers, which are linked to the purchase of the plan will also remain available for that period.
Meeting the obligations under your plan
Domestic & General Services Limited is the provider of the care plans and the obligations under these plans are backed by assets held within a trust fund for your protection.
Customers with disabilities
We offer a number of services for customer who have disabilities, including providing our documents in Braille, large print or audio formats. For further information, please contact us on 08444 810 511, write to us at Domestic & General Services Limited, Leicester House, 17 Leicester Street, Bedworth, Warwickshire CV12 8JP, United Kingdom or email us by clicking on ‘contact us’ on our website – www.domesticandgeneral.com.
Breakdown Care is provided by Domestic & General Services Limited,
Registered office: Swan Court, 11 Worple Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4JS. Registered in England and Wales. Company No. 1970780
We intend to rely on the terms and conditions set out in this document. For your own benefit and protection you should read these terms and conditions carefully. If you do not understand any point please ask for further information.