The terms below have the following meanings when used in the Terms and Conditions.
Crime Reference Number means an official crime reference number obtained from the appropriate police authorities;
Insurance Plan means this general insurance contract;
Product means the mobile phone purchased from Argos and covered under the Insurance Plan;
We, us, our means Domestic & General Insurance PLC;
You, your means the customer who has taken out the Insurance Plan and who owns the product.
The Insurance Plan is underwritten by Domestic & General Insurance PLC.
This Insurance Plan is only available to residents of the United Kingdom who are 18 years old or over.
Significant features and benefits
This Insurance Plan is a general insurance contract that provides cover for one mobile phone purchased from Argos with a value of £600 or less in respect of the cost of:
Accidental Damage - The provision of a replacement product following accidental damage.
Theft - The provision of a replacement product following the dishonest taking of the product by persons known or unknown with the intention of unlawfully or permanently depriving you of the product.
The cover is provided for claims arising within the United Kingdom. In addition, the cover is also provided for claims arising outside of the United Kingdom, providing the product is not absent from the United Kingdom for a total of more than 90 days during the duration of the Insurance Plan (the Worldwide Cover).
Duration of the insurance plan
The Insurance Plan will start on the start date shown on your purchase receipt (this will be date you purchase your mobile phone) and it will continue for a period of one year (as indicated on your purchase receipt). You should review this cover periodically to ensure it remains adequate.
What we will pay
We will only pay up to a total maximum of £600 per claim towards a replacement of your product. We will always, subject to the full terms, conditions and exclusions of your Insurance Plan, replace your product with a product of the same or similar make and specification, unless we cannot reasonably arrange a replacement, in which case we will we will provide you with Argos vouchers to the value of the price you paid for your product.
You acknowledge and accept that the replacement product may be a different model, may be made by a different manufacturer and may not include the identical features, functions and data capability as the original product.
You must return to the Argos store to receive your replacement product. We will not arrange or pay for the product to be delivered.
When we have replaced your product, your Insurance Plan will end immediately. We will not be responsible for any costs that you may incur in disposing of your original product.
How to claim and your responsibilities
1. Theft Claims
a. Contact the appropriate police authorities within 7 working days of your becoming aware of the incident, requesting a Crime Reference Number.
b. Contact us within 7 working days of your becoming aware of the incident or on your return to the United Kingdom on 08444 810 511.
You will then be sent a claim form. Complete the claim form fully and return it to us in accordance with the instructions on the form.
The form must be returned within 30 days of receipt together with any requested supporting documentation such as:
• Police Crime Reference Number;
• Proof of forcible entry (such as a copy of a repairer’s invoice for vehicle damage);
• Your Insurance Plan document;
• Your purchase receipts for both your product and your Insurance Plan;
c. We will assess your claim and providing it is valid, we will authorise the replacement of the product.
2. Accidental Damage Claims
To claim for a replacement, return to the Argos store with your Insurance Plan documentation and the receipts for both your Insurance Plan and your product within 7 working days of your becoming aware of the incident or on your return to the United Kingdom.
What is not provided
1. Any claim notified to us more than 7 working days after your becoming aware of the incident occurring or on your return to the United Kingdom.
2. Any claim relating to a product with a purchase price of more than £600 (including VAT) or which is not a pre-pay mobile phone.
3. Any claim relating to a product not purchased from Argos.
4. Any claim for accessories other that in respect of valid claims for accessories included in the original packaging of your product where such accessories are damaged or stolen with the product.
5. The VAT element of any claim if you are registered for VAT.
6. Any claim whilst the product is in another person’s possession.
7. Any claim where the claim form together with any of the following requested documentation has not been returned within 30 days of receipt:
• Crime Reference Number (in respect of Theft claims only);
• Proof of forcible entry (in respect of Theft claims only);
•Your purchase receipts for both your product and your Insurance Plan;
• Any other requested documentation.
9. Any loss(es) you may suffer from not being able to use the product or for the loss of any content contained or stored within the product.
10. The product (or any part) being recalled or replaced by the supplier or the manufacturer.
11. Any mechanical or electrical breakdown other than when caused by accidental damage.
12. Any claim arising from not following the manufacturer’s instructions or routine maintenance.
13. Repairs, routine maintenance, adjustment, modification or servicing.
14. Any loss, damage or impairment to functionality caused by: neglect, deliberate damage, animals, plants or trees.
15. Any cosmetic damage, such as damage to the casing or dents or scratches to the product.
16. Any loss, damage or impairment to functionality caused by: earthquake, flood, lightning, fire, wind, humidity, weather conditions, salt spray, storm or other natural events or catastrophes, abnormally high or low temperatures, corrosion, chemical exposure, radiation, explosion, sabotage, terrorism, insurrection, revolution, war, riot, armed conflict, civil commotion, rebellion, man-made events or catastrophes, or technological hazards (such as computer viruses or date-change faults).
17. Any claim for loss of the product.
18. Any third party claims, including claims for lost airtime or fraudulent usage of the mobile phone.
19. Claims arising outside the 90 day worldwide cover limit.
20. Claims arising outside the United Kingdom will only be settled once you return to the United Kingdom.
21. Any Thefts claims:
i) not reported to the appropriate police authorities within 7 days of you becoming aware of the claim incident occurring;
ii) not accompanied by a Crime Reference Number (lost property numbers are not acceptable in support of a Theft claim);
iii) for a product stolen from an unattended vehicle unless the product is completely hidden from view within a locked glove compartment or locked boot, within a fully locked and secure vehicle, and violent and forcible entry to both the vehicle and glove compartment or boot can be evidenced;
iv) for a product stolen from unoccupied premises unless there is evidence of violent and forcible entry;
v) where the product has been left unattended in a public place or a place to which the public has regular access, including any form of public transport; or
vi) for theft of SIM or PCMCIA cards other that in respect of valid Theft claims where your card was stolen with the product.
Conditions of Cover
1. You must take reasonable care and maintain the mobile phone in good order and take all reasonable precautions to prevent theft or damage.
2. We may take proceedings at our expense in your name to recover any sums paid under this Insurance Plan.
3. This Insurance Plan is valid in the territorial limits of the United Kingdom and, providing the product is not absent from the United Kingdom for a total of more than 90 days during the duration of the Insurance Plan, is also valid worldwide.
4. This Insurance Plan is only available to customers who are permanently resident in the United Kingdom.
Cancellation Period – Right To Change Your Mind
1. You can cancel your Insurance Plan at any time within 45 days of purchase, and you will receive a full refund, provided you have not used any services under the Insurance Plan.
2. If you wish to cancel the Insurance Plan during this 45 day cancellation period then return to the store with your Insurance Plan documentation and receipt to receive your refund.
1. After the 45 day cancellation period you may terminate your Insurance Plan at any time and you will be refunded a proportion of your Insurance Plan fee relating to the remaining full months outstanding, unless your product has already been replaced or written-off.
2. If you have been provided with a replacement product or a write-off settlement then your Insurance Plan will come to an end and no Insurance Plan fees already paid will be refunded.
3. If you wish to terminate your Insurance Plan after the 45 day cancellation period, you can:
•click on ‘contact us’ at www.domesticandgeneral.com; or
•write to Domestic & General Insurance PLC, Leicester House, 17 Leicester Street, Bedworth, Warwickshire, CV12 8JP.
You may need to send in your plan document and receipt.
4. Your Insurance Plan may be terminated at any time in the event of any fraud, attempted fraud, or where you have provided incorrect information, and you will not be entitled to any refunds.
How to Complain
If you wish to complain, then:
• Call the Customer Service Department on 08444 810 0511;
• Write to the Customer Care Manager at Domestic & General Insurance PLC, Leicester House, 17 Leicester Street, Bedworth, Warwickshire, CV12 8JP
• E-mail us by clicking on ‘contact us’ on our website (www.domgen.com)
We hope that you will be satisfied with our response to your complaint. If you are not satisfied you can ask the Financial Ombudsman Service to review your case. They can be contacted at: South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SR.
We want you to contact us so that we know what you think of us and the services we provide. If you wish to contact us, then please call the Customer Service Department on 08444 810 511 or write to the Customer Care Manager at Domestic & General Insurance PLC, Leicester House, 17 Leicester Street, Bedworth, Warwickshire CV12 8JP. We may monitor or record our communications with you to improve the quality of the service we provide.
Governing Law and statutory rights
Unless otherwise agreed with you, English law will apply. Nothing in the terms and conditions will affect the statutory rights you have when you buy electrical products. These include the right to claim for a refund, repair, or replacement for up to six years (five in Scotland) if your electrical goods were not of satisfactory quality or fit for their purpose when they were sold to you. After the first six months you will have to prove that the goods had a fault when sold to you and the longer it takes for the fault to appear the more difficult this will be. For further information about your statutory rights contact your local authority Trading Standards Department or Citizens Advice Bureau, or visit www.adviceguide.org.uk.
You should be aware that extended warranties are available from other high street outlets, insurance companies and other providers. Cover may also be available for limited periods on some appliances from your credit card provider. Some household contents insurance policies offer cover for accidental damage, fire or theft. However, you may find that an excess is payable and a claim may affect the cost of subsequent insurance premiums.
When Can I Buy An Insurance Plan?
If you decide not to buy an Insurance Plan when you buy your product, any written quotation given to you will be available on the same terms and conditions for a further 45 days. Any offers, such as discounts and vouchers, which are linked to the purchase of the Insurance Plan will also remain available for that period. You will have 45 days from purchase to decide if you want to cancel the Insurance Plan and receive a full refund unless your product has already been replaced or written-off. A reminder about this right is contained within Insurance Plan documentation.
The Financial Services Compensation Scheme
Domestic & General Insurance PLC is the provider of the mobile phone Insurance Plans. We are covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. You may be entitled to compensation under the scheme if we cannot meet our obligations. This depends on the type of business and the circumstances of the claim. Our obligations are covered for 90% of any claim with no upper limit. Further information about compensation scheme arrangements is available from the FSCS at www.fscs.org.uk or by writing to them at: FSCS, 7th Floor, Lloyds Chambers, 1 Portsoken Street, London E1 8BN.
Exclusion of third party rights
This Insurance Plan is for your benefit only and any permitted transferee at our discretion and no rights or benefits will be given to any other third party under the Insurance Plan. The provisions of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 will not apply.
Transferring your Insurance Plan
You cannot transfer your Insurance Plan to a new owner of the product or to any other product.
This Insurance Plan will not be valid if any information you give us is false or exaggerated. If any fraudulent claim is made or if any fraudulent means or devices are used to obtain any benefit under this Insurance Plan, all benefits hereunder shall be forfeited. We may inform the police and/or any other law enforcement agency about the circumstances of such a claim.
Your details will be held and used by Argos Limited, Domestic & General Services Limited, Domestic & General Insurance PLC, and selected companies acting on our behalf to administer your Insurance Plan. We may pass your data to any relevant regulator or dispute resolution provider. We may also use your data for training and testing purposes. If you have given us permission, your details may also be used by us or third parties for other marketing purposes. We may disclose your information to our service providers and agents for these purposes. We and the third parties (if applicable) may contact you by telephone, email or mail. If you no longer want your data to be used by Argos Limited for marketing purposes please write to Argos, Thynne Street, Bolton BL11 1AS. If you no longer want your data to be used by third parties or by us for marketing purposes and you have not already notified us please write to the Data Protection Officer at: Domestic & General, Freepost CV2560, Bedworth, Warwickshire, CV12 8BR. To help keep your details accurate we may use information we receive from our partners. You can ask us a copy of your details (for a small fee) and to correct any inaccuracies.
Customers with disabilities
We offer a number of services for customer who have disabilities, including providing our documents in Braille, large print or audio formats.
For further information, please contact us on 08444 810 511, write to us at Domestic & General Services Limited, Leicester House, 17 Leicester Street, Bedworth, Warwickshire, CV12 8JP or email us by clicking on ‘contact us’ on our website www.domesticandgeneral.com.
Provided by Domestic & General Insurance PLC. Registered Office: Swan Court, 11 Worple Road, Wimbledon, London SW19 4JS, United Kingdom. Registered in England and Wales. Company No. 485850. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA registration number 202111). Our address and details of our authorisation can be checked on the FSA web site (www.fsa.gov.uk) or contacting the FSA on +44 845 606 1234.
Copies of this document are available in Braille, audio cassette or large print on request.