The Nintendo 3DS displays 3D images on screen without the need for 3D glasses, allowing users to watch 3D films and play classic Nintendo games in 3D.
The Nintendo 3DS will have three cameras; two outer cameras, one with a motion sensor and the other a gyro sensor, which will be capable of capturing 3D videos and 3D photos and one inner camera . The new design also boasts a ‘3D depth’ slider on the side of the 3DS which will adjust the intensity of the 3D effect on the console and can completely turn off the 3D effects if required.
Like the Nintendo DS, the device will be wireless compatible, allowing multiple 3DS consoles to connect via a local wireless connection, allowing gamers to communicate or enjoy competitive game play. The new Nintendo 3DS hardware is designed so that even when not in use, it can automatically exchange data with other Nintendo 3DS consoles or receive data via the Internet while in sleep mode.
The 3DS will also feature a new Wii Creator which can be imported from the Wii or taken as a photo from the 3D cameras.
Once released, some of the impressive games expected to be available are: Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater, a jungle based video game with snakes and crocodiles jumping across the screen, which show off the true 3D effects in style. For the younger generation, Nintendogs and Cats in 3D will bring your pet to life and make playing with your pet more lifelike. Flying in Pilotwings will never be the same again with the 3D effects transforming the flight simulation, but a quick touch of the 3D effect slider and you can enjoy it at its 2D nostalgia.
Nintendo games expected to be released on the 3DS:
• Kid Icarus: Uprising, the long-awaited franchise follow-up to the NES classic.
• Mario Kart, which shows off the potential of driving and tossing bananas in 3D.
• Nintendogs + cats, a new version of the best-selling nintendogs franchise that lets players interact even more with their virtual puppies – and kittens!
• PilotWings Resort, a flying simulation that lets players soar above Wuhu Island.
• Animal Crossing, a new instalment of the charming community-building franchise.
• StarFox 64 3D, a game that demonstrates the true distance and depth of outer space using Nintendo’s well-known franchise.
• Steel Diver, a new submarine-navigation game from Nintendo.
• Paper Mario, which brings paper-based 2D environments to life.
Nintendo 3DS also comes to market with the strongest third-party support of any video game system in Nintendo history. Expected games:
• DJ Hero 3D from Activision
• RESIDENT EVIL REVELATIONS from Capcom
• The Sims 3 from Electronic Arts
• HIDEO KOJIMA’S METAL GEAR SOLID SNAKE EATER 3D “The Naked Sample” from Konami
• Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles (name not final) from LEVEL-5
• RIDGE RACER (name not final) from Namco Bandai Games
• KINGDOM HEARTS franchise game from Square Enix
• DEAD OR ALIVE 3D (name not final) from Tecmo Koei Games
• SAMURAI WARRIORS 3D from Tecmo Koei Games
• Battle of Giants: Dinosaur Strike from Ubisoft
• Hollywood 61 (name not final) from Ubisoft