Your guide to health and fitness
Regular exercise can make you feel great and can help you achieve the following:
- Weight loss
- Competitive training – marathon, regular sport etc.
With the right equipment such as an exercise bike, cross trainer, home gym, tread mill or rowing machine, you can put together the perfect workout at home
Thinking about your exercise goals is the first step to choosing the right exercise equipment for you:
- If you want to keep fit and healthy, an exercise bike is great for your heart and lungs
- If you want to tone up, a cross trainer works several sets of muscles, while a home gym can add strength and definition
- If you want to lose weight, a treadmill or cross trainer will help you to burn calories at a steady pace, without giving you bulging muscles
- If you want to build up strength, try a rowing machine for your shoulders, or a home gym for all-over power
- If you want to build stamina, combine a treadmill or exercise bike with a home gym to add strength
- If you’re training for an event, mix aerobic workouts on a treadmill or exercise bike with core strength sessions on a rowing machine or home gym
Main types of training
- Cardiovascular training - refers to the fitness of your heart and lungs and encourages blood to pump around your body, carrying oxygen and energy to your muscles.
- Strength training - helps develop your muscles for definition or certain sports. Weights add 'resistance' to make you work harder.
Don’t forget that if you want strength, you'll need cardiovascular fitness too