Furniture insurance terms & conditions
INSURED, You, Your: The person or persons whose name and address is shown under "INSURED" overleaf.
ADMINISTRATORS, Our, Us, We: The authorised Administrators, Homeserve Warranties Limited, appointed to administer this Insurance upon behalf of the Insurer. Homeserve Warranties Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA). Our FSA registration number is 311648.
INSURER: Allianz Insurance plc. (please see section 11 for further details).
Please note that from April 30th 2007, Allianz Cornhill Insurance plc will undergo a name change to become Allianz Insurance plc. The existing company and FSA registration numbers will remain the same. This does not affect your legal rights.
PRODUCT: The item or items detailed on your sales receipt. Where items are non-integral and therefore easily separated, such as a mattress and base or arm caps, scatter cushions and other accessories, they are treated as separate Products in the event of a claim.
PERIOD OF INSURANCE
Your Insurance for Staining and Accidental Damage will start from the date shown on your certificate of insurance.
Your Insurance for Structural Defects will start following the expiry of the manufacturer's guarantee. Your Insurance terminates as soon as any of the following alternatives apply:
1) The expiry date, as shown on your certificate of insurance, is reached.
2) You , or anyone representing You defrauds or deliberately misleads the Insurer or Us .
3) The Maximum Liability is reached (as stated below).
4) You modify the Product.
WHAT IS INSURED
A) Stains resulting from sudden and accidental contact with any substances except mineral oils, superglue, soot and corrosive substances including bleach.
NOTE: A gradual build up of human perspiration, body acids, oils or greases, household dust and dirt or any other substance does not fall within the requirement for sudden and accidental contact and is NOT insured.
B) Accidental Damage:
(i) Fabric upholstery, leather upholstery and beds: a sudden and accidental event resulting in a rip, tear or burn.
(ii) Cabinet furniture: a sudden and accidental event resulting in a scratch, water mark, heat ring, or breakage of glass components.
C) Structural Defects in materials or workmanship first discovered following the expiry of the manufacturer's guarantee and resulting in breakage or separation of frame components, breaking or bending of metal components (other than zips) , recliner, rocker, sleeper and swivel boxes, excessive loss of resiliency of webbing, springs, foam or fibre filled interiors.
Structural Defects arising during the manufacturer's guarantee must be reported to Argos Direct or to the store from where you bought the Product with Your sales receipt or delivery note and will be dealt with under the manufacturer's guarantee.
WHAT IS NOT INSURED
Any claim for or resulting from the following will not be valid:
1) Damage caused deliberately by any person.
2) Wear and tear consistent with the initial quality of the Product and the manner in which the Product is used.
3) Neglect, abuse, or misuse of the Product.
4) The effects of sunlight, wind, weather, rusting, radiation or corrosion upon the Product.
5) Structural Defects in Products that have been manufactured in accordance with a defective design or specification.
6) Changes in colour of any part of the Product regardless of the cause.
7) Stains caused by dye transfer.
8) Staining or Accidental Damage to Products used in a food preparation area.
9) Use of incorrect or inappropriate cleaning products or cleaning methods.
10) The removal of any odour even where caused by a stain.
11) Damage caused whilst the Product is in transit.
12) Damage caused by animals (other than animal fluids), birds or insects.
13) Costs, expenses or other financial loss in addition to the costs of cleaning, repairing or replacing the Product.
14) Use of the Product in business premises or in residential premises which You let or sublet.
15) Use of the Product outside the United Kingdom, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man.
16) Structural Defects first discovered before the expiry of the manufacturer's guarantee.
17) Failure of stitching.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
The Maximum Liability: We will pay for cleaning, repairs or replacement up to the original purchase price of the damaged Product in settling any one claim or in total all claims made during the Period of Insurance. However, an exact colour match cannot be guaranteed due to variations in dye lots.
Cancellation: You may cancel this Insurance and obtain a full refund of premium by contacting Argos Direct or returning to the store from where You bought the Product together with Your sales receipt or delivery note and Your Certificate within forty five days from the start date , and if You have not made a claim You will receive a full refund. If you do not cancel within this period the premium becomes due, and the policy may run for its full term. After 45 days You may cancel the policy at any time but You may not receive a refund of premium.
HOW TO MAKE A CLAIM
We expect You to telephone Us on 0870 242 1246 within 72 hours of a claim arising and state
Your Certificate number and the nature of Your claim. We will then decide if Your claim meets the criteria stated in the Certificate. We may inspect the Product to help Us to assess Your claim and may require You to complete a claim form.
Your telephone calls may be recorded and monitored. We reserve the right to use any recordings made.
How We will settle Claims: Valid claims will be settled by cleaning, repairing or replacing the damaged Product at Our discretion up to a value not exceeding the original purchase price paid. Where We are not able to clean, repair or replace the damaged Product satisfactorily We will send you Argos vouchers up to the value of the price You originally paid for the item, or if the damaged item is non-integral and therefore easily separated, for the cost of replacing that item only, less any previous claims paid.
If Your claim is settled by Argos vouchers the Insurer reserves the right to take sole ownership of the defective Product . If the Insurer wishes to take such ownership, the defective Product will be collected at the same time as the replacement Product that You select is delivered. Until such time You cannot sell or dispose of the defective Product without Our prior written consent. If the Insurer chooses not to collect the defective Product as above the ownership of it and the responsibility for it will remain solely with You .
Transfer of Insurance: You cannot transfer the Certificate of Insurance to another person.
Product Care: You and Your family must take all reasonable precautions to safeguard the Product and to avoid loss or damage to it. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring that the Product is maintained in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. If You fail to do so any claim You make may be rejected by Us .
Fraud: You must not act in a fraudulent manner. If You (or anyone acting for You ):-
1) Make a claim under the Insurance knowing the claim to be false or fraudulently exaggerated in any respect, or
2) Make a statement in support of a claim knowing the statement to be false in any respect, or
3) Submit a document in support of a claim knowing the document to be forged or false in any respect, or
4) Make a claim in respect of any loss or damage caused by Your willful act We :-
i) Shall not pay the claim or any other claim made under the Insurance.
ii) Shall declare the Insurance void and not make any return of premium.
iii) Shall be entitled to recover from You the amount of any claim already paid under the Insurance.
iv) May inform the police of the circumstances.
ARE THERE ANY OTHER CONDITIONS OR LIMITATIONS?
a) the language of the policy and all communications relating to it will be in English; and
b) all aspects of the policy, including negotiations and performance, are subject to English law and the decisions of the English courts.
If You are not happy with any aspect of the insurance undertaking, please contact the Insurer at:
Customer Satisfaction Manager, Allianz Schemes, Allianz House, 6 Vale Avenue, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN1 1EH. United Kingdom. Telephone: 01892 703416. Fax: 01892 517994. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Insurer's aim is to get it right, first time, every time. If they make a mistake they will try to put it right promptly. They will always confirm to You the receipt of Your complaint within five working days and do their best to resolve the problem within four weeks. If they cannot they will let You know when an answer may be expected.
If the situation is not sorted out within eight weeks the Insurer will provide You with information about the Financial Ombudsman Service
Using the Insurer's complaints procedure or referral to the Financial Ombudsman Service does not affect Your legal rights.
FINANCIAL SERVICES COMPENSATION SCHEME:
In the event of insolvency the Administrators and Insurers of this policy are covered by the Financial Servcies Compensation Scheme (FSCS). You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme if, through insolvency, the Administrators or Insurers cannot meet their obligations. This depends on the type of business and the circumstances of the claim. Most insurance contracts are covered for 100% of the first £2,000 and 90% of the remainder of the claim, although 100% is payable for the compulsory insurances. Further information is available from the FSCS on 0207 892 7300 or at email@example.com
Argos Limited, a company incorporated in England, is a member of the Home Retail Group ("The Group"). The Group includes Argos Limited, Homebase Limited, Home Retail Group Card Services Limited, Home Retail Group Personal Loans Limited and their associated companies from time to time. A List is available on request from the Data Protection Compliance Manager, Insurance Services, Argos Limited, Avebury, 488-499 Avebury Boulevard, Milton Keynes MK9 2NW.
The details You supply will be sorted and used by Us, the Insurer and the Group to administer Your insurance cover. Your personal details may be transferred outside of the EU. They will at all times be held securely and handled with the utmost care in accordance with all principles of the UK law. We may exchange Your details with other insurers through various databases to help Us check information provided and also to prevent fraudulent claims. Your details will not be kept for longer than necessary.
This insurance is underwritten by Allianz Insurance plc: Registered in England No. 84638. Registered Office: 57 Ladymead, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 1DB United Kingdom. Allianz Insurance plc is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA). Their FSA registration number is 121849.
This insurance is administrated by Homeserve Warranties Ltd. Homeserve Warranties Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA). Their FSA registration number is 311648. You can check the FSA's register by visiting their website (www.fsa.gov.uk) or contact them on 0845 606 1234.
Copies of this document are available in Braille. large print and audio cassette on request.
Disclosure of Your personal information
Information about You may be given by Us , The Group and Our Insurer as follows:
- to companies and organisations whose products The Group provide to You e.g. product, home and motor financial and travel services
- to third party administrators, solicitors and agencies, whereby it may be checked against centralised information held and shared with other insurers in order to investigate and settle claims
- to The Group's agents and employees to do any of the above things on the Group's behalf
- to anyone to whom The Group transfer their rights and duties under The Group's agreement with You
- if The Group have a duty to do so or the law allows The Group to do so
- if required to do so by any relevant regulatory body
- to any other third parties such as repairers or companies which may assist in the repair or replacement of your product.
It is important that the data You have supplied is kept up to date and You should notify Us promptly of any changes. You are entitled upon the payment of an administration fee to inspect the data We are holding about You . If You wish to make such an inspection please write to Us . The Group may also monitor and/or record Your telephone conversations to ensure consistent service levels, to prevent/detect fraud and for training purposes.
Homeserve Warranties Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA).
Our FSA registration number is 311648. You can check the FSA's register by visiting their website (www.fsa.gov.uk) or contact them on 0845 606 1234.